In the coming posts, I will be presenting a series of recipes using Sundaram Spices spice blends. Let me present to you the first dish of the series: Vindaye poisson or Tuna Fish Vindaye.
“Vindaye Poisson” is a typical Mauritian dish. It is usually made with tuna or another firm fish or octopus. Essentially Vindaye is an exotic version of pickled or soused fish flavored with turmeric, mustard, bay leaves, garlic, chillies and ginger.
Traditionally, the vindaye has to rest for at least a few hours after it is cooked and then eaten. That’s because there is an ongoing pickling process that continues once the vindaye is cooked. I used Sundaram Spices Epices Vindaye for the base of the spices but there are numerous recipes online on how to do it from scratch.
Vindaye can be prepared in advance and left in the fridge for a day or two before eating. One way to serve the Vindaye is cold, as a main course, with some crusty bread and a salad. It is also an excellent make ahead buffet entrée for a crowd.
You can purchase Sundaram Spices Epices Vindaye here.
PS. Many of you are asking me where you can purchase Sundaram Spices? If you are in Mauritius, you can get it at any of these locations here. If you are outside of Mauritius, you can purchase some of the blends on Christie’s shop or on the Sundaram Spices website soon (in progress).
You will need:
- 250g of tuna – about 4 slices
- 20g Sundaram Spices, Epices Vindaye
- 2 onions, cut in quarters
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 4 green chilies, sliced lengthwise
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup water
- Juice from 1 lemon or 2 Tbsp of white vinegar
- Salt & pepper
- Season the tuna slices with salt and pepper.
- Fry the fish in 1/2 cup oil.
- In the meantime, mix the crushed garlic, Epices Achards and water into a paste.
- In a pan, heat up 2 Tbsp of the oil (from the fried fish) and add the Epices Achards paste. Season with salt, stir and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Break up the fish into big chunks and add them to the pan of spices.
- Mix thoroughly and adjust the salt. Let it cook for another 10 minutes then add the onions and chilies. Let it cook for another 5 minutes.
- Take it off the heat and add the juice of a lemon (or vinegar).
- Let it set for a few hours. Enjoy!