This dish is phenomenal. It has all the things that I love: eggplants (one of my fav vegetables), lots of spice and it can also be made vegetarian. Just omit the ‘Nduja.
This is home cooking at it’s best so no styling on these photos 😉
Slice the eggplant, lie in on a chopping board and sprinkle with some coarse salt (of regular salt). Let it sit for 15 minutes. Wash and dry the eggplant pieces then fry them in batches in 1/2 a cup of vegetable oil.
Brown the eggplant pieces until they are half cooked:
Time for the sauce now.
Here are some of the ingredients:
Not featured here are the tomato pasta sauce, dried thyme and the delicious ‘Nduja (see below).
On medium heat, warm 2 Tbsp of olive oil in a pan, add the shallot, garlic, ginger, chili and thyme, Let it cook for 5 mins. Then add the chopped tomatoes and let it cook for another 10 mins. Then add some tomato sauce and let it simmer away for another 20 minutes.
Finally fold in the eggplant pieces and let it cook for another 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Then add in 2 tsp of ‘nduja (or more if you like it) and let it simmer for another 5 mins.
Sprinkle with the chopped scallions and look at this gorgeousness:
In the meantime, cook the pasta. I used whole wheat penne.
Mix them both.
I like mine with some rocket on the top. This is where I would put some fresh basil as well but I forgot.
Check out my other ‘nduja recipe here.
These measurements will serve 2 hefty portions
You will need:
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 Tbsp Olive oil
- 2 Garlic, chopped
- 2 slices Ginger, chopped
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 1 big eggplant
- 1 tsp Dried thyme
- 2 tomatoes
- Half a jar of tomato sauce
- 1 Thai chili
- Salt & pepper
- 1 big Tsp ‘nduja (or more if you want)
- 200g Penne pasta
- Scallions, chopped
- Rocket salad
- Fresh basil (optional but recommended)
- On medium heat, warm 2 Tbsp of olive oil in a pan.
- Add the shallot, garlic, ginger, chili and thyme. Let it cook for 5 mins.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and let it cook for another 10 mins.
- Add in some tomato sauce and let it simmer away for another 20 minutes.
- Fold in the eggplant pieces and let it cook for another 15 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add in 2 tsp of ‘nduja and let it simmer for another 5 mins (skip this step if you want a vegetarian dish).
- Sprinkle with the chopped scallions
- Cook the pasta and fold in the sauce.
- Enjoy with some rocket & basil.