You will need:
- 350g of Pasta Of Your Choice (I Prefer big fat ones like the one pictured or Penne)
- Half of a medium Eggplant, cut into small dices
- 1 small onion or shallot, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 jar of roasted bell pepper, drained
- 1/2 cup Cream
- 2 small chilies (optional)
- Chopped fresh Basil (to taste)
- 1/2 cup water or chicken broth
- Shaved or grated Parmesan
- 2 tsp of Olive oil
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a skillet. Add the chopped onion/shallot and garlic and sauté for 3 minutes.
- Then add the chilies and drained bell peppers and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and transfer the content to a blender. Purée until you get a paste (I like my sauce with some pepper chunks in it).
- Warm the same skillet and some oil. Put in the chopped eggplant and season with salt and pepper. Cook for about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to package directions.
- Remove the eggplant from heat and keep.
- Transfer the roasted pepper sauce onto the skillet with the water and warm it over low heat. Stir in the eggplant and let it cook for another 8 minutes until bubbles start forming. Season with salt and pepper.
- Finally fold in the cream and chopped basil and mix well.
- Drain the pasta and add it to the skillet. Stir to coat the pasta.
- Sprinkle with some grated or shaved parmesan and fresh basil and serve hot.
PS. I don’t know how these big pasta twirls are called so if any of you know the name, please tell me. I hope you enjoy making and eating this as much as I did. Bon appétit!